American Legion Post 39 was formed on November 14,1927. The original post was located above the First National Bank, until 1948. The post then moved to the Library (formerly the Roebling Company Motel). On January 1st,1969, a very cold day, a fire destroyed the building. A new post was built and dedicated on Dec.16, 1971. The building was sold in 2020. However, Post 39 continues to meet in this same building in the downstairs meeting room. The post was named in honor of Paul Willitts and William Hogan who both died in WWI. James Tonne, who perished in WWII, his name was added later. A bronze plate has been added to the building honoring all those who served in the armed services.
American Legion Roebling Post 39 continues to be active in community activities and with veterans organizations. In 2021 and 2022 Post 39 made considerable donations to many of the township food banks, churches and veteran support organizations as well as to the Boy and Girl Scouts. The post also has a very active Auxiliary who helps raise funds for veteran organizations and visit the veterans at Veterans Haven South, a local veterans home.
Willitts-Hogan-Tonne, American Legion Post 39, Roebling, continues in its mission to support veterans and its community for "God and Country".